09 September 2009

alone


As I sat alone in church two Sundays ago (Kevin was on nights & the boys were sick), I thought how incredibly alone I felt. There were all these people I have known since I was nine years old, yet I had the terrible ache of a stranger. During the next week I found myself thinking a great deal about that experience and how that must be an everyday life for so many. What agony that must be. I think of my mother and how she must have felt coming home to an empty house night after night. She had no one to sit with Sundays. The terrible existence she must have had and others like her. Do we ignore those poor lonely souls? Not on purpose, but do we nevertheless?

Molly at A Foothill Home Companion also had this in her thoughts this week. I agree with her and hope others do as well. We should take the time to talk to our fellow man. It may be the only conversation they get that day.

Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40. That is my earnest goal. I am going to start by simply saying "Hello...How are you?"

1 comment:

  1. At first glance, my caption for this photograph would have read - peaceful solitude. After reading your post my caption reads - lonliness hurts. Thanks for reminding us that a warm greeting or show of concern could be the bright spot in someone's day. It takes little effort, but makes a huge difference to a lonely person.
    I pledge to do better too.

    ReplyDelete